Each year, the most academically accomplished Pop Warner kids compete for Academic All-American status. This process begins at the association level and up through each of the eight Pop Warner regions to the national level.
The PWLS All-American Program requires a minimum 96% grade point average to apply for All-American status. After the applications have been processed, Pop Warner determines National First Team All-Americans (35 football, 35 cheer per grade), National Second Team All-Americans and National Honorable Mention Scholars.
ALL-AMERICAN SELECTION PROCESS:
- A final score is calculated for each student that consists of up to 100 points (85%) for the student’s grades for the prior school year, along with up to 18 points (15%) awarded for the attached Addendum sheet of activities and achievements.
- Once the scores have been calculated, First Team All-Americans are selected. The top 35 football players and 25 cheerleaders per grade (plus ties) are selected as National First Team All-Americans.
- Second Team All-Americans are then determined by Pop Warner based upon the number of applications that were submitted for that year. Last year’s total was approximately 3,800 Second Team All-Americans
WHAT HAPPENS NEXT?
Pop Warner will announce its annual Scholar All-Americans each year by April 1st. Each scholar will receive an informational packet in the mail by the end of April that includes:
- Congratulatory letter from Pop Warner indicating their scholastic accomplishment.
- Certificate of achievement for National All-Americans.
- Information regarding the Pop Warner National All-American banquet can be found at www.popwarner.com.